Motorbike Rentals FAQ

Riding in a foreign country is an adventure but it's challenging, too. From supplying you with a reliable bike and good information to helping you out of a jam, we're here to do everything we can to help you enjoy your journey. Feel free to drop us an email at contact@dirtbikevietnam.com if you have any questions—we'll be delighted to hear from you! In the meantime, here is a collection of the questions most frequently asked by our guests.

The Bikes

We rent out dirt bikes because we're convinced they're the best type of motorbike for Vietnam. You'll see very few high displacement tourers here like you do in Thailand because big bikes are subject to an exorbitant import tax. Cruisers and sports bikes, on the other hand, are unsuitable because all the best places in Northern Vietnam are reached by dirt road! We have a garage of late-model Honda dirt bikes: European standard CRF250Ls and XR150Ls.

Model nameCRF250L (European model)
Dimensions (L x W x H)2,195 x 815 x 1,195 (mm)
Wheelbase1,445 (mm)
Ground clearance255 (mm)
Seat height875 (mm)
Curb weight riding capacity144 (kg)
Riding capacity (No.of occupants)2
Minimum turning radius2.3 (m)
Engineliquid-cooled 4-stroke DOHC single cylinder
Displacement250 (cc)
Bore x Stroke76.0 x 55.0 (mm)
Compression ratio10.7
Fuel supply systemProgrammed fuel injection system (PGM-FI)
StarterSelf-starter
IgnitionFull-transistor battery ignition
LubricatingWet sump
Fuel tank capacity7.7 (L)
ClutchWet multiplate with coil springs
TransmissionConstant mesh 6-speed return
Transmission gear ratio1st 3.333
2nd 2.117
3rd 1.571
4th 1.304
5th 1.115
6th 0.962
Reduction gear ratio (primary/secondary)2.807/2.857
Caster angle/Trail (degree/mm)27.6°/113
Tire sizeFront 3.00-21 51P
Rear 120/80-18 62P
Rear 120/80-18 62P
BrakesFront Hydraulic disk
Rear Hydraulic disk
SuspensionFront Telescopic (Inverted)
Rear Swing arm (Pro-link suspension system)
FrameSemi-double cradle

Model nameXR150L (European model)
Dimensions (L x W x H)2,090 x 810 x 1,125 (mm)
Wheelbase1360 (mm)
Ground clearance245 (mm)
Seat height825 (mm)
Curb weight riding capacity130 (kg)
Riding capacity (No.of occupants)2
Minimum turning radius2.3 (m)
Engineair-cooled 4-stroke OHV single cylinder
Displacement150 (cc)
Bore x Stroke57.3 x 57.8 (mm)
Compression ratio9.5:1
Fuel supply system20mm piston-valve
StarterSelf-starter and backup kick
IgnitionCDI
LubricatingWet sump
Fuel tank capacity12 (L)
ClutchWet multiplate with coil springs
Transmission5 Speed manual
Transmission gear ratio1st 3.333
Reduction gear ratio (primary/secondary)2.807/2.857
Caster angle/Trail (degree/mm)27.6°/113
Tire sizeFront 90/90 R19
Rear 110/90/ R17
BrakesFront Dual piston caliper, 240mm disc
Rear Mechanical drum
SuspensionFront Telescopic fork
Rear Single shock swing arm
FrameSemi-double cradle

On Tour

Sure, we'll be happy to store it in our shop for the duration of your rental.

Don't worry: it's hard to believe, but the Vietnamese police very rarely stop foreigners, especially in North Vietnam. Ride responsibly, and you'll have no problems. In the event that they were to stop you for any reason, you could call us and we'd help you smooth things over.

Our bikes are new and excellently maintained, and we haven't had one breakdown in 3 years of running tours. Flat tyres shouldn't be an issue, either, since you'll be on a dirt bike. In any case, Vietnam is a nation of bikers so you're never far from a mechanic. If anything happens, get in touch and we'll help you sort things out.

In cities and larger towns it's no problem, but in the countryside it's next to impossible. Depends where you go. We'd advise bringing enough cash if you're heading somewhere remote.

Deposits and Payments

We aim to keep our pricing as transparent as possible. Here are our prices:

Honda XR150LHonda CRF250L
1-10 days$25/day$55/day
11-20 days$23/day$50/day
21-30 days$20/day$45/day
31+ days$15/day$40/day

Yes, we request a deposit of 30% for all motorbike rentals. Details of how to go about paying your deposit can be found on our deposits and payments page.

Most of our guests book from outside Vietnam, and pay their 30% deposits through Paypal using either their own Paypal accounts or bank cards, or by Western Union, telephone or international bank transfer. The remaining 70% you can pay in cash or by card at our shop when you collect your motorbike. More details can be found on our deposits and payments page.

Yes, we request a deposit for each motorbike. Most of our guests leave a passport as deposit, since it's easiest. Alternatively, you're welcome to leave a cash deposit amounting to 50% of the retail value of the motorbike.